Spun Sugar is an easy way to add an elegant touch to any dessert. Like the nest placed on top of my Easter Best Carrot Cake.
Spun sugar isn’t difficult to make but it can get a little messy so make sure you prepare your work area with newspaper. It will make clean up much easier. Also, this is not a good project for small children. Hot sugar syrup can cause nasty burns if it comes in contact with your skin. So my suggestion is that you put an adult in charge of making the spun sugar (carefully) and little helpers can place it on the cake and add the mini eggs.
Spun Sugar is an easy way to add an elegant touch to any dessert.
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Light corn syrup
- Prepare work area by lining counter and floor with newspaper. I also place baking sheets on floor to catch spun sugar. Place 3 pans with a long handle on counter with handle facing outward. Spray handles with a little cooking spray. Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a small saucepan stir to dissolve and bring to a boil on medium high heat. Place lid on pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook until liquid reaches approximately 320 degrees on a candy thermometer. Liquid should turn an amber color. Watch carefully as it can go too far and burn easily.
- Once desired temperature/color is attained remove promptly and place pan in ice water to stop cooking.
- Let sit in ice bath for 3-5 minutes to let liquid thicken a bit.
- Holding pot in one hand and fork in the other dip fork into sugar syrup remove and hold fork about 5-6 inches above pot handles hanging over counters edge and swiftly flick fork back and forth and let strands gather on handles. Repeat several times.
- Slide strands off handles and gather any bits that land on newspaper and place on a platter.
- Repeat until you have a nice bunch of spun sugar.
- If syrup cools too much and thickens you can place back on burner for a couple minutes to thin out. Spun sugar is sensitive to moisture and humidity.Its best to make either the same day you will use or you can store it in a sealed tupperware container for a day.