Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a timeless dessert. Moist and fluffy cake that’s baked on top of melted butter, brown sugar, pineapple slices and cherries. It’s easy to understand why this eye catching dessert has been handed down through the generations.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake was Grammy’s specialty! I can remember her serving this spectacular creation at many of our weekly Sunday gatherings. Grammy took Sunday dinner very seriously. It was always an all out smorgasbord! Besides the main course there were several sides to choose from. She usually served at least 5 or 6 different vegetables. Maybe that’s why she would make Pineapple Upside Down Cake for dessert so often. It’s easy to make ahead of time and creates such an elegant presentation. Or maybe she made it because it so unbelievably delicious! What ever her reason was, I hope you enjoy her recipe as much as we all do.
Moist and fluffy cake that's baked on top of melted butter, brown sugar, pineapple slices and cherries. It's easy to understand why this eye catching dessert has been handed down through the generations.
- 1 Stick Unsalted butter
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1 16 ounce can Sliced pineapple
- 1 Cup Cake flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 Large eggs separated
- 1 Cup Granulated sugar
- 5 Tablespoons Pineapple juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Melt butter and spread in a ten inch cake pan. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter. Arrange pineapple slices and cherries to cover pan bottom. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a large bowl beat egg yolks until light. Add sugar gradually. Mix in the pineapple juice.
- Gradually add flour mixture a little at a time.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites to form stiff peaks.
- Fold egg whites into batter.
- Pour over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes before turning cake onto a platter.
Pecans can also be added with the pineapple slices and cherries when making this Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Recipe was shared at: