Rolled Chicken Washington was commonly seen on the Sunday dinner menu at grammy and grampa’s weekly family gatherings. This recipe is grammy’s version and a little different from the traditional Rolled Chicken Washington recipe. Tender juicy chicken cutlets filled with ham and cheese and encased in a crispy outer bread crumb layer. Absolutely delicious!
Grammy was always changing things up a bit in her recipes. Sometimes this was a good thing like what this tasty dish transpired into.
The simple cheese sauce she would make with this pretty much ended up on everything on the plate because who doesn’t love cheesy goodness pooled in their mashed potatoes or drizzled on their veggies.
When my sister, brother and I heard grammy was making Rolled Chicken Washington our eyes would light up. It is definitely on our top ten favorite family dinners list!
It has now become one of my children’s favorites as well and we continue grammy’s tradition of changing things up and have invented new versions to this recipe. So if you enjoy this one make sure you keep looking in future posts for some more of these tasty recipes!
Tender juicy chicken cutlets filled with ham and cheese and encased in a crispy outer bread crumb layer. Absolutely delicious!
- 4 Large Chicken breasts Pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 4 Slices Deli ham
- 2-4 Slices American cheese Freshly sliced from deli
- 1-2 Cups Seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 Large eggs Whisked, for dipping
- 14-15 Slices American Cheese
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Place chicken breasts between plastic wrap and using a meat tenderizer pound from center of breast outward to about a 1/4 inch thickness. Set aside.
- Line up your ingredients: Place bread crumbs in a large bowl or plate. Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk. Place cheese and ham slices on a plate.
- Unwrap pounded chicken and cut into pieces about the size of your whole hand. (This may or may not be necessary. Just eyeball it)
- Place a slice of ham and then a slice of cheese on chicken and roll up length wise. Try to tuck in sides best you can to prevent leakage.
- If needed secure with toothpicks. (Just be careful to remove before serving)
- Dip rolls in egg to coat then in bread crumbs. Set aside on a platter and repeat with the rest of chicken.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. ( These are usually deep fried but I like to use a little oil at a time and turn rolls in the pan to brown all sides.) This is just to brown the chicken. The remainder of the cooking process will occur in the oven. It should produce a nice juicy product.
- Remove chicken to a plate with a paper towel to soak up any oil.
- Place rolls in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking prepare cheese sauce.
- Heat milk in small sauce pan with butter on medium heat. Watch closely so it does not come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and add cheese a slice at a time stirring constantly to melt.
- Once completely melted and incorporated remove from heat and set aside. If a skin forms on top just peel off or reheat and stir .
- Serve in a gravy boat.
I have the servings listed as 4 however they are very large servings. It definitely can be stretched to feed more people
How to make Rolled Chicken Washington
I am also including some pictures of the process of how to roll your chicken up. Hope this helps.
Why you need this Rolled Chicken Washington in your life
Rolled Chicken Washington is great for serving large groups or just a quiet dinner for two.
You can also make it ahead and wait to bake it in the oven right before serving.
Come by Baking in Pyjamas link party to see this and other awesome recipes on Sunday!