Comfort food at its best. This Tuscan Bean Soup is so hearty and full of flavor they won’t realize they’re eating healthy!
Tuscan Bean Soup is one of my favorite soup recipes. Most of the ingredients get pureed so it really is more of a thick stew.
Is this Tuscan Bean Soup recipe Vegetarian?
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian or gluten free. Use vegetable broth in place of a meat based broth to make it vegetarian friendly. To make a gluten free version either eliminate the pasta or use a gluten free pasta.
The best part about this recipe is you feel like your cheating because it’s so delicious! I made this a couple months ago to share on the blog but it got gobbled up so fast it never made it to the photo shoot. This time I made a double batch just to be safe.
Comfort food at its best. This Tuscan Bean Soup is so hearty and full of flavor they won't realize they're eating healthy!
- 1 Medium onion ,chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic ,chopped
- 4 teaspoons Dried or 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ,if you like it spicy you can add 1 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Julienned sun-dried tomatoes in oil ,drained
- 2 Medium carrots Chopped
- 3 ,16 ounce cans Cannellini beans ,Drained, rinsed and divided
- 5 Cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil for sauteeing
- 2 Cups Pasta shells ,optional
- Cook pasta (if using) according to package directions and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, carrots, and red pepper flakes. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add 3 C broth, tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups of beans and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
- Pour soup into a blender or food processor and puree for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your machine.
- Pour puree back into sauce pan add 1-2 more cups of broth to thin soup. Add remaining beans and pasta. Heat through and serve.
*To make this recipe vegetarian use vegetable broth
*To make it gluten free either eliminate the pasta or use a gluten free pasta
If you love this Tuscan Bean Soup and are craving more hearty soup recipes here’s another family favorite! Click on the link below the picture to get the recipe!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: