These Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins combine both orange and lemon zest for a little twist on the traditional Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins. I’ve always loved adding orange slices into my lemonade to cut the tartness. The addition of the orange in these muffins has the same effect. The end result? Delicious!
Last week I shared a delicious recipe for Mochaccino Muffins. The kids loved them so much they gobbled them up in two days. My daughter requested more muffins so I thought I would try something citrus flavored. I always begin craving citrus flavors this time of year because it reminds me of warm sunshine and I can’t begin to tell you how much we all need a little warm sunshine here in the Northeast!
We have been breaking records with snowfall totals and cold temperatures here. I’ve lost track of the actual amounts we’ve received but I think Boston is currently at the the 3rd highest snowfall totals of all time.
This is rather extraordinary because all of that snow that has been dumped on us has fallen in the past three weeks!
Combined with record low temperatures means there’s no melting going on between storms either. This has created monster snow banks, one way streets that were formally two way streets, collapsing roofs, leaking roofs and a crippled MBTA system!
Let’s just say we’re all getting a little grumpy up here in the Northeast. Can you blame us?
So if you’re in need of a little sunshine bake a batch of these Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins. While I can’t promise that they will make the snow go away. They will brighten your day and make your mouth smile! 🙂
These Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins combine both orange and lemon zest for a little twist on the traditional Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.
- 2 1/3 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Light brown sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup Canola or vegetable oil
- Juice and zest of 2 medium lemons
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Coconut milk yogurt for dairy free version or Greek or regular yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Confectioner sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees F. Spray 12-count muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until thoroughly mixed. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, orange juice, and orange zest together until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Whisk in the yogurt and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together until flour is incorporated. The batter will be very thick.
- Spoon the thick batter into the muffin tins, filling them all the way to the top. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce oven temperature to 375F and continue to bake for 10-13 minutes longer until tops are lightly golden. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from tin and place on serving dish. Once completely cooled drizzle with icing if desired.
- mix sugar and lemon juice together until smooth.
Recipe adapted from Sallys Baking Addiction
These Citrus Poppy Seed Muffins were just what we needed to brighten things up around here!
Try some of these other delicious muffin recipes for a tasty morning treat! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: