Warning!! You will not be able to eat just one of these Polish Cream Cheese Cookies (Kolaczki cookies)!
These little Polish Cream Cheese Cookies or Kolaczki are sooo good! I really could not resist going in for seconds, thirds, fourths….. You get the picture! Yes! I ate an embarrassing amount of cookies!
Mom was feeling a little nostalgic with Christmas quickly approaching and decided to bake up some memories. Grammy and Grampa have been gone for a couple years now and we lost Dad just before Christmas last year.
We miss them dearly and it can be a little difficult this time of year especially. One thing that always makes me feel like they are still with us are when we cook the foods they loved.
I don’t remember Grammy ever making these exact cookies but she certainly made similar ones. She definitely would have loved these Kolaczki though and would be proud that we were Celebrating Our Heritage.
Mom Made these Polish Cream Cheese Cookies last week and we had them wiped out in record time!
They are kind of a cross between a pastry and a cookie. The dough is made of a cream cheese/ butter mixture and has a nice flaky texture like pie crust.
You can fill them with just about anything but Mom used an assortment of jams. Raspberry, apricot, blueberry and orange marmalade. Once they are cooled they are dusted with powdered sugar and devoured!
Polish Cream Cheese Cookies
- 1 (8 ounce package) Cream Cheese
- 3 Sticks Unsalted butter ,softend
- 3 Cups All-purpose flour
- 3 (8 ounce jars) Assorted jellys
- 1/2 Cup + more for dusting Confectioner Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with butter until light and fluffy. Add flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix well. Divide dough into quarters. Wrap each quartered dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out dough 1/4 inch thick on a silicone mat or a surface that has been dusted with equal parts confectioners' and granulated sugars (not flour), Mom just used granulated sugar.
- Using a pastry wheel or pizza cutter, cut dough into 2-inch squares. Place 1/2 to 1 teaspoon filling on center of each square. Overlap opposite corners of dough to the center over filling, pressing dough together to seal. ( Brush a tiny bit of beaten egg white on the dough where you want it to stick together to help it stick better. This will help prevent it from unsticking during baking)
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or when corners start to brown. Cool completely and dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Recipe adapted from Eastern European Food.
Polish Cream Cheese Cookies traditionally served at Christmas and Easter.
Bake up a batch of Kolaczki for the holidays this year and watch them disappear!
Here are some of my other favorite Christmas Cookie recipes for you to try!