Stuffed Bell Peppers
These Stuffed Bell Peppers are the perfect grab and go meal to have on hand in the fridge. They are easy to reheat in the microwave for a quick lunch or supper.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 6 Peppers
- 1 Pound ,lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 Onion ,finely chopped
- 1 Red bell pepper ,finely chopped
- 2 Ribs of celery ,finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic ,minced
- 1 Cup Chopped mushrooms
- 2 ,14 1/2 ounce cans Diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 Cups Cooked rice ,I used a long grain white but brown or even a wild rice is fine
- 6 Large Bell peppers ,assorted colors if desired
- 1 Cup Shredded cheese for topping ,cheddar or monterey jack work well
- Fresh parsley for topping if desired
Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
Cut the tops off the 6 Bell peppers and clean out the insides. Place in a large roasting pan and fill the bottom of the pan with about a half inch of water or chicken broth. Set aside.
In a large skillet over medium heat brown ground meat until no longer pink. Remove to a dish.
Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in your skillet and add your onion, red bell pepper, celery, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, dijon mustard, red pepper flakes and worcestershire sauce and heat until simmering. Cook for about 5 minutes and then stir in your rice. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove from heat and spoon evenly into your bell peppers. I had just enough to fill 6 but it will depend on the size of your peppers.
Once filled top with cheese and bake for 40 minutes in preheated oven.
Remove from oven and serve.
Calories: 300kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 61mg | Sodium: 261mg | Potassium: 881mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 6155IU | Vitamin C: 238mg | Calcium: 167mg | Iron: 2mg