Tuscan Bean Soup
Comfort food at its best. This Tuscan Bean Soup is so hearty and full of flavor they won't realize they're eating healthy!
Servings 6 people
- 1 Medium onion ,chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic ,chopped
- 4 teaspoons Dried or 2 Tablespoons fresh chopped rosemary
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Red pepper flakes ,if you like it spicy you can add 1 teaspoon
- 1 Cup Julienned sun-dried tomatoes in oil ,drained
- 2 Medium carrots Chopped
- 3 ,16 ounce cans Cannellini beans ,Drained, rinsed and divided
- 5 Cups Chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil for sauteeing
- 2 Cups Pasta shells ,optional
Cook pasta (if using) according to package directions and set aside.
In a large sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, rosemary, carrots, and red pepper flakes. Sautee for 2-3 minutes. Add 3 C broth, tomatoes, 1 1/2 cups of beans and bay leaves. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes.
Pour soup into a blender or food processor and puree for 2-3 minutes until smooth.
You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your machine.
Pour puree back into sauce pan add 1-2 more cups of broth to thin soup. Add remaining beans and pasta. Heat through and serve.
*To make this recipe vegetarian use vegetable broth
*To make it gluten free either eliminate the pasta or use a gluten free pasta
Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 787mg | Potassium: 622mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3680IU | Vitamin C: 35.9mg | Calcium: 44mg | Iron: 1.5mg