Did you know that January is National Soup Month? Grammie’s recipe for Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is the perfect soup to help celebrate it with!
I’m not really sure who decided to make January, National Soup Month but it definitely makes sense. At least here in the Northeast. The temperature has hit some of the coldest readings in years and curling up with a hot bowl of soup is just what the doctor ordered.
Grammie used to make this soup on a regular basis during the winter months. Just tasting it brings back so many warm memories. She was such an incredible cook and really knew how to stretch a meal. She had a way of recreating new meals with left overs so you really didn’t feel like you were eating left overs.
If you ever said you didn’t really care for something she had made (which was almost never) she would respond, (in her Polish accent), “You don’t know what good is!” I always loved that and now I say it to my kids if they don’t like something I make. Grammie had a funny sense of humor and was never afraid to speak her mind. When we cook her recipes she is right back here with us.
So…. if you know what good is… you’re going to love Grammie’s Vegetable Beef Barley Soup. Enjoy! 😉
Did you know that January is National Soup Month? Grammie's recipe for Vegetable Beef Barley Soup is the perfect soup to help celebrate it with!
- 1 pound Beef shin center or 1 pound of beef stew beef
- 1 Cup Marinara sauce
- 1 Large Onion cut into quarters
- 1 piece of Celery, cut two pieces
- 2 Carrots ,chopped
- 1 Bay leaf
- 5-6 Whole peppercorns
- Pinch of red pepper flakes ,optional
- 1 Cup Medium pearled barley ,rinsed
- Salt to taste
- Fill a large stockpot with water. Approximately 8 cups. Add the beef and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer for 1-2 hours. Skim any foam off top of water. If too much liquid evaporates you can add a little more or add some beef broth for more flavor.
- Remove the bone and or the meat and set aside.
- Add marinara sauce,onion,celery, bay leaf,peppercorns and red pepper flakes and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Add carrots and barley and cook for another 15 minutes or until barley is cooked. Once barley is cooked if you feel like you want the soup a little thicker you can always cook a little extra in water and add it in later. Just keep in mind it will thicken up the next day. (If you have any left over)
- Remove bay leaf and celery stalks if desired and serve.
- *If you prefer not to bite into a whole peppercorn you can add ground pepper if you like but this is the way Grammie always made it.
Grammie never really measured anything out when she made her Vegetable Beef Barley Soup. It’s one of those soups you can tweak a little here or there to the way you like it.
If you’re looking for more tasty soups to warm you up this month try some of these! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring! 😉
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: