A delicious sweet and tangy apricot filling is surrounded by a coconut, walnut crust and crumble topping. Its difficult to keep a batch of these delicious Apricot Bars around. Especially with all of the sweet tooths in our home.
This recipe for Apricot Bars has been a family favorite for 50 years! My mom got this tasty recipe out of Pillsbury’s Best Bake Off Cookbook. The cookbook is a compilation of award winning recipes. It has definitely seen better days. The binding is ripped and pages are stained with baking ingredient remnants. She has certainly been loved!
- 2 1/2 Cups Drained cooked apricots
- 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Apricot juice or water
For Crust and Crumble topping:
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Shredded coconut
- 1/2 Cup Chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook apricots, sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until it has thickened slightly. Remove from heat and cool.
Prepare crust and topping:
- Sift Flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to form a crumb mixture.
- Stir in the coconut and walnuts.
- Press 3 cups of crumb mixture into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Bake crust in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove and add filling and top with remainder of crumb mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Cool and cut into bars.
If you love these you may also love Pillsbury’s Best of the Bake-Off Praline Crunch Cake.
I will be sharing this recipe on Six Sister’s Stuff link party. Come by and see this and other incredible recipes!
Stop by Baking in Pyjamas link party on Sunday too!