What makes this The Best Swedish Meatball Recipe? From the tender melt in your mouth meatballs to the flavorful creamy gravy it’s a mouthful of happiness in every bite!
Swedish Meatballs are a classic dish that make a great weeknight meal. A quick and easy meal and my whole family loves them. Double bonus!
I’m pretty picky when it comes to meatballs. I like a soft tender meatball that’s full of flavor. This recipe meets all those requirements. After searching around and trying several different recipes I found the perfect combination to make the perfect tender little meatball.
What’s the trick to making a soft and tender meatball?
There are a few things that I did in this recipe to give the meatballs extra flavor while keeping them soft and tender. First of all I grated my onion so it was fine and produced some nice onion juice. Next I used fresh white sandwich bread instead of dried crumbs. I chopped it up and let it soak in the onions with their juice to soak up all that delicious flavor. It gave the meatballs a nice soft tender texture and added so much more flavor. By grating the onion nice and small there wasn’t any crunchy bits in the meatballs either.
The second part of making The Best Swedish Meatballs is in the gravy. I added a little bit of Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard to really give that creamy gravy a flavor boost. It has so much flavor you may find yourself licking the bowl. Or you could just serve it with a nice slice of bread to sop it up. Either way works, you just won’t want to leave any bit of that deliciousness behind.
The Best Swedish Meatball Recipe
For the meatballs
- 10 ounces Ground Sirloin
- 10 ounces Ground Pork
- 2 Slices Soft white sandwich bread (or wheat) ,crusts removed and cubed
- 1 Medium Yellow onion grated on a box grater
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon All spice
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For the Gravy
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons All-purpose flour
- 3 Cups Low sodium Beef broth
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4-1/2 Cup Heavy cream ,depending on how creamy you like it.
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh parsley ,chopped
For the meatballs
- In a medium bowl, combine cubed bread, grated onion with juice and milk. Stir to coat bread and let sit until bread soaks up all the milk and juices and becomes very soft. About a half hour.
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients including your soaked bread and onions and mix with your hands to combine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating roll your meat mixture into balls. I made mine about 1-2 inches in diameter. Place balls into hot oil and brown on all sides. You may have to do this in 2-3 batches. Remove browned meatballs to a platter and set aside.
For the gravy
- Melt butter in skillet and whisk in flour. Cook for about 1-2 minutes until flour begins to slightly brown. Gradually add beef broth a little at a time. Mix in Worcestershire sauce and mustard and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until it begins to thicken. Add cream. Stir to combine.
- Add your meatballs to gravy and cook for about 3-5 minutes. Serve over pasta or mashed potatoes. Top with chopped fresh parsley.
The Best Swedish Meatball Recipe is a 30 minute meal that the whole family will love!
I always love when I find a delicious dinner that the whole family loves. Even better when I can have it on the table in 30 minutes!
Here are some more of my favorite weeknight meals. Just click on the picture for the recipe.