A rich dark chocolate cupcake filled with salted caramel and then topped with salted caramel buttercream. These Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Filling are the perfect cure for your biggest chocolate craving!
This one is for all the chocolate lovers out there! I’m not sure what it is about chocolate that makes it so addicting but I know it has me under its spell. Once that chocolate craving hits there’s just nothing else that’s going to satisfy it.
That’s where these babies come in! They are sure to satisfy your biggest chocolate craving and leave you dreaming for more.
Salted Caramel is another one of my favorites. I love Salted Caramel Cupcakes and the Apple Pie Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Buttercream that I shared last week. Sometimes you just need that chocolate though and I knew that mixing two of my favorites together to create these Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Filling would make one amazing combination.
I was right! Enjoy!
Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Filling
For the Chocolate Cupcake
- 1 3/4 Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tablespoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 1 Cup Strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 Cup Canola oil
- 3 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
- 3 Large Eggs
For the Salted Caramel Filling
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 6 Tablespoons Salted butter ,cut in slices
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream at room temperature
For the Salted Caramel Buttercream
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Water
- 1/2 Cup Heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 2 Sticks Salted butter at room temperature
- 2 Sticks Unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 3 Cups Confectioner sugar
For the Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees F. Line 24 standard muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients.
- Using a whisk mix until all dry ingredients are well combined.
- Create a gully in the center of dry ingredients and add remaining ingredients except eggs. Whisk together. Add eggs and whisk by hand for 2-3 minutes. Once incorporated mix for another 3 minutes with electric hand mixer on high speed periodically scraping sides of bowl.
- Using a 1/4 C measuring cup scoop batter and pour one 1/4 cup full in each paper liner. (Careful not to drip excess on your pan.) Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature.
For the Salted Caramel
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat dissolve sugar whisking occasionally. Cook until sugar turns a deep amber. ( can easily burn so watch closely!) Stir in butter until melted. Carefully add a small amount of heavy cream stirring constantly. It will bubble up. Continue to add cream until all incorporated. Whisk until smooth. Remove from heat and cool.
For the Salted Caramel Buttercream
- In a medium sauce pan stir sugar and water together over medium high heat. bring to a boil and cook without stirring until it turns a deep amber. Remove from heat and add heavy cream and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Set aside and let cool for about 20 minutes. In bowl of stand mixer with paddle attachment beat butter on medium high until light in fluffy (about 3 min.) Reduce speed to low and gradually add confectioner sugar and sea salt. Scrape sides of bowl and mix until incorporated. Continue mixing on low speed and pour cooled caramel in to combine. Increase speed and beat for about 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
Fill and frost the cupcakes
- Using the large open end of a pastry tip cut out a small circle in center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with cooled salted caramel. Pipe on salted caramel buttercream. Drizzle more salted caramel over the buttercream.
Is someone you love a chocolate lover? Make these Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Filling to show them how much you love them!
Here’s some more chocolate deliciousness for you to try. Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: