Fluffy cream cheese filling baked right in the middle of a moist and tender Gingerbread Muffin then topped with a cinnamon/ginger streusel and a drizzle of icing. One bite of these Cream Cheese Stuffed Gingerbread Muffins and there was a Christmas party in my mouth!
We celebrated our 6th annual Gingerbread House Party last weekend and it was a huge success! I love that it has become a tradition and I look forward to seeing what everyone is going to create each year.
The kids are all grown now but seem to enjoy our little Gingerbread party more as they get older. We switched things up a bit this year and I hosted the party upstairs in Mom’s house.
Starting a new Gingerbread House tradition the ease the pain of a loss.
I wanted to bring the warmth of family and Christmas spirit into her home this year to help combat her sadness of the loss of my father. It was the best party yet and she even put together a beautiful slide show of the party! You can click here to view it and see everyone’s creations.
I made enough Gingerbread House parts this year to make 16 houses! That’s a lot of gingerbread!
Each year I tweak my methods and find ways to make the process a bit quicker. This year I decided since Mom has a double wall oven it would probably be wise to bake them upstairs in her kitchen. Best idea yet…not sure why I hadn’t done it before!
The best part about baking all that gingerbread (besides sneaking a few bites here and there) is the absolutely intoxicating aroma that fills your home!
Most of the gingerbread does not get eaten because it’s all used up on house parts so I was left craving some gingerbread that I could actually eat!
These Cream Cheese Stuffed Gingerbread Muffins totally satisfied my Gingerbread craving!
That’s where these magical little cupcakes came in. I had seen lots of recipes for Cream Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin Muffins and I loved the idea of the cream cheese filling so all I needed was a killer gingerbread muffin recipe.
After searching through several and making a few adjustments we had a winner and in one bite my gingerbread cravings where finally satisfied!
Cream Cheese Stuffed Gingerbread Muffins
For the gingerbread muffins
- 2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Ground ginger
- 1/2 Cup Dark brown sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Sour cream or full fat plain yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Molasses
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter ,melted
For the streusel topping
- 1/4 Cup Granulated sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter ,melted
- 3/4 Cup All-purpose flour
For the cream cheese filling
- 1 ,8 ounce package Cream Cheese ,softened
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
For the icing
- 1/2 Cup Confectioner sugar
- 2 teaspoons Heavy cream
Make the streusel topping first
- Combine sugars, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Add melted butter and whisk to incorporate. Add flour and stir until just combined. Set aside.
Make the Gingerbread Muffin
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F. Line 12 standard muffins tins with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg and milk. Slowly add wet ingredients into the dry and stir until barely incorporated. Finally stir in molasses and butter and mix to combine. Don't over mix. It's okay if some lumps remain.
- Evenly divide batter between the 12 muffin liners. Set aside.
Make the cream cheese filling
- In a small bowl beat cream cheese until creamy and smooth. Mix in the egg, sugar and vanilla and beat until well combined. Pour mixture into a pastry bag or plastic zip lock bag if you don't have a pastry bag. If using a disposable pastry bag cut the tip of the bag. Insert the tip of the bag into one of the muffins and squeeze about two tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture into the gingerbread batter. ( It's a little tricky to know how much is going in so it's kind of a guesstimate...you will see the muffin grow as you fill it. You can go back and add more to some that you think you may not have added enough to at the end. I did have a little bit of the cream cheese mixture left over but some of mine probably could have used more) Continue until all 12 muffins are filled.
- Top with the streusel topping and bake for 20-24 minutes. They will be done when the cream cheese filling has just set and is not jiggly any longer. Mine came out perfectly at 22 minutes. I would check after the 20 minute mark so they do not get over baked. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes. Once cooled remove each muffing from the tin and place on the serving plate.
Make the icing
- In a small bowl beat cream and confectioner sugar until well combined. Drizzle over the tops of cooled muffins.
Welcome Christmas morning with a batch of Cream Cheese Stuffed Gingerbread Muffins.
These Cream Cheese Stuffed Gingerbread Muffins would make the perfect addition to a Christmas Morning Brunch. We always have a special breakfast on Christmas morning. I know these will definitely be making an appearance again in a few weeks!
Here are some of my other favorite special breakfast treats for you to try! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: