Caramelized onions, wine and beef stock are three simple ingredients but put them together and you have one amazing soup! Have this classic French Onion Soup on the table in 30minutes!
French Onion Soup is one of my all time favorite soups but for some reason I had never made it before this.
If I spot it on the restaurant menu my eyes immediately light up. In fact, Paul and I both usually always order a bowl whenever we can find it and I always tell him how easy it is to make.
I figured it was finally time for me to prove it to him.
I searched through different recipes but when it comes to French Onion Soup I think it tastes best with just a few simple ingredients.
So I whipped up a batch in no time and I was right! Easy and delicious!
French Onion Soup
- 4 Large Yellow onions ,cut in half and cut into slices
- 2 Cloves Garlic ,chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1/2 Cup Sherry or red wine
- 6 Cups Beef stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Large woody sprig of thyme
- French baguette cut into 1 inch slices
- Provolone, Gruyere, or swiss cheese ,for topping soup
- In a large pot set over medium heat, heat 1 Tablespoon oil until shimmering. Add the onions and saute until golden brown. Make sure you keep tossing onions so they don't burn otherwise it will add a bitter flavor to your soup.
- Whisk in the butter, then the flour and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then deglaze the pan with the sherry, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Slowly stir in the stock; bring to a simmer. Add the whole sprig of thyme. Simmer for 15 minutes, until broth has thickened slightly. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spoon the soup into bowls and top with a slice of bread (approximately 1 inch thick and a thick layer of cheese. I used about 3 deli slices.)
- Place under a preheated broiler on HIGH for 3 minutes, until cheese is browned. Serve immediately
Don’t wait until your next night out to order a hot delicious bowl of French Onion Soup! It’s just a few simple ingredients away!
Here are some more tasty soup recipes to warm you up this winter. Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties:
Leave a Reply