This Spicy Shredded Beef Recipe is super moist and full of flavor! Perfect for your favorite Mexican dish!
We celebrated my son’s birthday a couple weeks ago and his birthday dinner request was Mexican cuisine. The spicier the better. He loves burritos with shredded beef so we had a Spicy Shredded Beef Burrito party with all the fixings.
The Shredded Beef turned out so moist and tender. I seasoned it with several spices, seared it then cooked it in a mixture of juice, broth and diced tomatoes. Once it was cooked to the point that the meat was tender and shreddable I removed half of the broth and put it in a pan to reduce it. The flavor was absolutely incredible.
We used our Spicy Shredded Beef for Burritos but it would be perfect for Tacos, enchiladas, quesadillas, or what ever your favorite Mexican dish is.
Spicy Shredded Beef Recipe
Spice Seasoning Mix
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4-1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper ,depending on how spicy you like it. I used 1 full teaspoon...we like it spicy!
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
For the Beef
- 3-4 pound Beef chuck ,mine was about 4 pounds, I cut it into 4 pieces before searing.
- 5 Cloves Garlic ,minced
- 1 Large Yellow onion ,chopped
- 3/4 Cup Orange juice
- Juice from one lime
- 1 ,14 ounce can Diced or crushed tomatoes
- 2 Cups Beef Broth
- In a small bowl combine all spice seasoning ingredients and mix well. Coat all of your pieces of beef with seasoning. I used a couple tablespoons. Save the remaining spice to add to sauce.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or large deep pot with a cover on high heat. Add meat and sear on all sides. (You may need to do it in batches.) Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add more oil if needed. Sautee onions and garlic until tender, about 3 -5 minutes.
- Add orange juice and lime juice, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Add tomatoes, beef broth and remaining seasoning and stir together.
- Place beef back into pot. Cover with lid and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Remove lid and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Cook time may vary. Once beef is tender and begins to pull apart easily remove to a plate and shred with a fork.
- You can either boil the remaining liquid to reduce or use and emulsion blender to chop up everything remaining in the juices to thicken it. We reduced ours by boiling for about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour sauce over your shredded beef and served.
Recipe adapted from Recipe Tin Eats.
This Spicy Shredded Beef Recipe is perfect for Taco Tuesday!
Serve your Spicy Shredded Beef with Tacos, Burritos, Quesadillas or whatever your favorite Mexican dish is!
Put it in your crockpot and have dinner ready when you get home! A great easy weeknight meal!
Here are some more of our favorite Mexican inspired foods! Just click on the picture for the recipe.