Fresh strawberry cupcakes soaked with a lime, tequila simple syrup and then topped with a fresh strawberry and tequila cream cheese frosting. These Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes are the perfect treat for your next adult summer fiesta!
Last weekend my friend had a Belated St. Paddy’s Day, Cinco de Mayo I Think I’m Suffering From Seasonal Affective Disorder Party!
Everyone here in MA has been so happy that Spring/Summer temperatures have finally arrived and we are doing our best to enjoy and appreciate every glorious second of it!
I decided to go with the Cinco de Mayo theme of the party and made Margarita Cupcakes and Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes. They were the perfect sweet delight for this adult celebration!
Last year I had shared the Margarita Cupcake recipe from a local bakery that were featured on Cupcake Wars.
I used that recipe, made a few adjustments to turn them into a strawberry version and it was a complete success! The recipe was just as delicious as the original.
Cinco de Mayo may be over but this recipe would be awesome for any adult summer gathering and if you want to make it children friendly you can just eliminate the tequila. Enjoy!
Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes:
- 3 Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 3 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Sticks Unsalted butter ,softened
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- 2 Large Egss + 4 Large Egg yolks ,room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla
- Zest from 1 limes
- 1 Cup Pureed fresh strawberries ,about 15-20 strawberries depending on size, stems removed and hulled
For the cream cheese frosting:
- 1 1/2 Sticks Unsalted butter ,softened
- 6 Ounces Cream cheese ,softened
- 2 Pouns Confectioners sugar
- 1 Ounces ,gold tequila
- 1/4 Cup Pureed fresh strawberry ,about 10 strawberries, stems removed and hulled
- Zest of one lime
For the tequila lime simple syrup:
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Tequila
- 1/2 Cup Lime juice
For the Garnish:
- Sanding Sugar
- Sea salt
- Lime ,thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 standard cupcake tins with papers.
For the cupcakes:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment stir together flour, sugar, baking powder,and salt.
- Add the butter, sour cream, eggs, vanilla, strawberry puree and lime zest to the dry ingredients and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 30 seconds. Scrape down sides to make sure all the flour is incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake tins and bake for 18-20 minutes on middle rack of oven.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the strawberry margarita cream cheese frosting
- Beat the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the confectioner sugar and mix on low speed until incorporated. Scraped sides of bowl and add the tequila, strawberry puree and lime zest. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.
For the tequila simple syrup
- Place sugar and water in a small saucepan and heat on medium high heat to dissolve. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature. Add tequila and lime juice.
Fill and frost cupcakes
- Using the back side of a frosting tip cup a deep hole in center of each cupcake. Collect removed cake in a small dish to replace on cupcake later after. Soak reserved cupcake pieces with some of the tequila lime simple syrup then pour the remainder evenly in each cupcake well. Place each of the reserved, soaked cupcake pieces back in the cupcake holes. Place frosting in pastry bag fitted with tip and frost cupcakes.
- Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt on top of each of the frosted cupcakes then carefully sprinkle frosting edge with sanding sugar to look like the salted or sugared rim of a margarita glass.
- Top with a slice of lime and a cut piece of a decorative paper straw.
Loving these Strawberry Margarita Cupcakes and craving more? Try some of these! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: