When those brisk Autumn days roll in, warm up with this spiced up Sweet Potato Bisque with Maple Bacon Bits!
This easy to make bisque is full of all the flavors that make Autumn cooking one of my favorites! The combination of the spice from the chipotle pepper and the sweetness of the maple bacon bits is perfect.
The best part is when those hunger pains hit you, you can have this hearty and healthy bisque ready to satisfy quickly. There’s nothing better than a delicious Sweet Potato Bisque or Baked Winter Squash Soup in the Fall to warm you up with some healthy goodness!
If you love spicy food and are the type that says, ‘The hotter the better!” then you’re gonna love this soup. It called for one chipotle pepper and it definitely added some fire. I was gulping water between bites! As much as I love spicy food next time I may just add half of a pepper. If you prefer to keep it on the tame side just eliminate the pepper all together. Spiced up or not it’s still one amazingly delicious soup!
If you love spicy food and are the type that says, ‘The hotter the better!” then you’re gonna love this soup.
It called for one chipotle pepper and it definitely added some fire. I was gulping water between bites! As much as I love spicy food next time I may just add half of a pepper.
If you prefer to keep it on the tame side just eliminate the pepper all together. Spiced up or not it’s still one amazingly delicious soup!
Sweet Potato Bisque with Maple Bacon Bits
For the bisque
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic ,finely chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia onion ,finely chopped
- 1/2 - inch piece Fresh ginger ,peeled and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Chipotle pepper ,canned in adobo sauce (use half if you want it less spicy or none if you don't want the heat)
- 4 Cups Chicken broth
- 1 1/4 Cups Apple cider
- 2 Large Sweet potatoes ,peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 Cup Heavy whipping cream
For the maple bacon bits
- 6 Slices Bacon ,fat trimmed and chopped in to pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Maple syrup
For the maple bacon bits
- Cook bacon pieces over medium heat until crisp on both sides. About 5-10 minutes. Remove bacon to a dish lined with a paper towel and drain fat from the pan. Put the cooked bacon back into the pan and add the maple syrup. Cook tossing the bacon in the syrup for 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat let cool for about 5 minutes. Then place the bacon on a plate to cool completely. Once cooled and hardened place on a cutting board and chop into bits.
For the bisque
- Add the butter to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts and becomes foamy, add the garlic, onions and ginger and saute until tender and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chipotle pepper and saute for 1 minute longer while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken broth, apple cider and sweet potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender until smooth or ladle into a regular blender and puree for 2-3 minutes. Finish by stirring in the heavy cream. Serve and top with maple bacon bits, dollops of sour cream or apple sauce.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
This Sweet Potato Bisque with Maple Bacon Bits is a great way to ring in the Autumn season. Serve it as an appetizer or have a pot warm on the stove ready to serve on game day!
Here are some other tasty Autumn dishes for you to try. Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!