Chocolate Pizzettes are a classic Italian chocolate cookie. Similar to Biscotti, Pizzettes combine rich chocolate, toasted almonds and warm spices to create a unique flavor that’s absolutely delectable!
Christmas is a week away and my baking has kicked into high gear. So many delicious delectable treats to be made and only so much time left to do it!
Last week I was up to my elbows in sugar and flour making my traditional Italian cookie platter. I shared my recipes for Snowball Cookies and Chocolate Espresso Pistachio Balls already. Today these Chocolate Pizzettes are the final little cookie that I baked to add to my platter. The cookie platter that has pretty much been wiped out I might add!
We all love each of these cookies but also have our favorites as well. These Chocolate Pizzettes are my Mom’s all time favorite cookie. I thought her eyes were going to pop right out of her head when she saw that I had made them!
Luckily this recipe makes a large batch of cookies so there was plenty to share!
Before we get to the recipe I thought I would share a few step by step pictures of what the process entails to make them.
Once your dough for these Chocolate Pizzettes is made the first thing you need to do is roll your dough into a log about 1-2 inches in diameter. I usually do this in a few batches so I can roll it out on my cutting board.
Once you have your dough rolled out the next step is to cut slices of cookies out. I cut them at an angle about 1 inch wide.
Then you place each cookie onto an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart to bake.
For the cookies:
- 4 Cups Unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Heaping, baking powder
- 1 Cup Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 teaspoon Ground cloves
- 1 3/4 Cups Sugar
- 1 Large egg
- 1 ,12 ounce bag Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 Cup Canola oil
- 1 Cup Hot coffee
- 2 Cups Toasted almonds ,chopped
- 1 ,12 ounce bag Semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1-2 Tablespoons Shortening
- Preheat oven to 400 Degrees F.
For the cookies:
- In a medium bowl mix together, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and sugar. Set aside.
- Place chocolate chips in a large mixing bowl and pour hot coffee over them. Let sit for one minute then stir to melt the chocolate. Add oil to the mixture and beat with an electric hand mixer to incorporate. Mix in the egg.
- Gradually add your dry ingredients into the wet to form a dough. Once well combined mix in your chopped almonds.
- Roll dough into logs (in several batches) and cut at an angle into 1 inch slices.
- Place cookie slices on your cookie sheet about an inch apart.
- Bake for 7 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and cool cookies completely.
For the melted chocolate topping:
- In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, melt chocolate chips until smooth. Add 1-2 tablespoons of shortening to chocolate to thin out for easier dipping.
- Once cooled, dip tops of cookies in melted chocolate and place back on cooling rack until chocolate has set.
Chocolate Pizzettes are one of my family’s favorites. I hope they become one of yours too!
Here are some more great cookie recipes for you to try:
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: