The perfect soup for warm or cool weather! The burst of citrus in this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a refreshing addition that makes it perfect for any kind of weather!
My daughter hasn’t been gone a week and I’ve already received a phone call from her saying she feels a cold coming on.
I was planning on bringing her some cupcakes for her birthday when I visit next week but it looks like I may be whipping up a batch birthday soup instead!!
Every time I make this soup it disappears the same day it’s made. My son reminded me again how this is his all time favorite soup.
The savory combination of rosemary and freshly squeezed lemon make it irresistible. I usually don’t like to eat soup in the Summer but this one is delicious year round.
This past month was a little chaotic as we prepared to send my daughter off to college for the first time. I decided to make a double batch of Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup this time since I knew how quickly it usually disappeared. It was the perfect delicious and nutritious treat to have in the fridge for us to grab and go!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil ,divided
- 1 Pouns boneless skinless chicken thighs , cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Cloves Garlic ,minced
- 1 Vidalia onion, diced
- 3 Medium Carrots ,Peeled and diced
- 2 Stalks Celery ,diced
- 1/2 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 5 Cups Chicken stock
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Bay leaves
- 3/4 Cup Uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 Sprig Rosemary
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper, to taste. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes, remove and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the stockpot. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken stock,bay leaves,1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Stir in orzo, rosemary and chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until orzo is tender, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and parsley; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious
Don’t wait for the chill of winter to set in! Make a batch of this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup today!
Looking for more tasty soups to enjoy this fall? Try some of these! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!
I will be sharing this recipe at the following link parties: