Buttery Thumbprint Cookies filled with Salted Caramel and then topped with chopped pecans and milk chocolate drizzle. These Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies will disappear in record time!
Thumbprint Cookies are one of my all time favorite cookies. There’s nothing better than the delicious buttery flavor of Thumbprint Cookie dough.
I usually fill mine with jelly or other sweet fruity flavors like my Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookies but today chocolate and caramel were calling my name!
If your going to make caramel these days it really needs to be salted caramel because caramel just taste better with a little bit of saltiness added.
Top it with pecans and milk chocolate and you have one irresistible little cookie.
Eating just one of these Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies nearly impossible. I have to confess…I indulged in an embarrassing amount. But that’s what we have New Year’s resolutions for right?
I did share some of my cookies with friends and they seemed to like them just as much as me. They were the perfect little bite sized treat to bring to a Christmas Cocktail Party this past weekend. Finger food at its finest!
Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies
For the dough
- 2 Sticks Unsalted butter ,softened
- 1/2 Cup Granulated sugar
- 2 Large Egg yolks ,room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 Cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
For the salted caramel
- 15 Wrapped caramel candies unwrapped such as Kraft
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Heavy cream
- Fine sea salt to taste
For the milk chocolate drizzle
- 1/4 Cup Milk chocolate
- 1-2 teaspoons Shortening
For the dough
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Cream butter and granulated sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Add yolks and vanilla, and beat for 1 minute. Reduce speed to low, and beat in flour and salt until combined. Cover, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour (or up to 1 day).
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet. Press finger or thumb into center of each dough ball to make an indentation.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes then remove from oven.
- Your indentations may have raised a bit while baking.
- Press down on indents with a spoon to make them deep enough to hold your filling.
- Remove cookies from cookie sheet and place on cooling rack.
Make caramel filling
- Place unwrapped caramels and cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 second increments stirring between each until caramels and cream are mixed and smooth.
- Using a spoon fill each cookie with caramel. Then sprinkle a small amount of sea salt on each.
Melt milk chocolate.
- Place chocolate and shortening in a separate microwave safe bowl and microwave on 50 % power for 30 seconds. Remove and stir until smooth. If you feel as though you need to microwave more just add another 30 seconds. (If you overheat your chocolate if may seize so be careful. Once the chocolate is warm it should become smooth as you mix it.)
- Drizzle melted chocolate over cookies and let set.
Bake Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies for the holidays
These Salted Caramel Turtle Thumbprint Cookies are great for cookie exchanges! You can even make extra dough and make and assortment of Thumbprint Cookies.
Here are some of my other favorite cookie recipes! Just click on the picture for the recipe.
If you would like to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest or Google+ just click on the social media buttons at the top right hand corner of the page and it will bring you right to my page. Once you’re there just hit “like” or “follow”! Easy! It’s a great way for you to see when I add something new!
Oh yeah….and if you would like to share this recipe you can just use the share buttons right at the bottom of this post. I would appreciate it so much! Sharing is caring!