This Tomato Basil Soup is a fantastic family recipe that my wonderful former mother-in-law shared with me years ago. It has become one of our Family Favorite Recipes!
When the cooler temperatures hit here in the North East there is nothing better than curling up with a hot bowl of soup. This Tomato Basil Soup is one of our Family Favorites.
It’s one of my go to recipes that’s so easy to make. I can whip up a batch in about 20 minutes which is important when those hunger pains hit. There’s nothing worse than waiting for dinner to be cooked when your tummy is rumbling.
This is an old Crocker Family Recipe that the whole family loves. I love finding a recipes that the whole family enjoys. Even the picky eaters!
I was never a big fan of regular Tomato Soup. It’s a little too acidic for me. But add a little sour cream and cheddar cheese and I’m all in. Now you just need a Grilled Cheese Sandwich to complete your meal. How about my Caprese Grilled Cheese! Now that would be the perfect sandwich to pair with this delicious soup! An amazing soup needs and amazing sandwich to go with it don’t you agree?
Tomato Basil Soup
- 2 ,28 ounce cans Ground peeled tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce container Sour cream
- 4 cups Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 Large Sweet onion
- 1/2 Tablespoon Dried basil
- In a large pot pour both cans of tomatoes plus 2 cans full of water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat then reduce to low to simmer. Meanwhile chop onion and saute in a Tbs of olive oil until softened (about 5 min). Stir onion and basil into tomatoes. Scoop sour cream into a a medium bowl and add a ladle full of hot tomato liquid to it and stir until combined. Add one to two more ladles full and then pour mixture into tomatoes. Sir to combine. Stir in the cheddar cheese until melted. Remove from heat and enjoy!
- *Its important not to add sour cream directly to hot liquid as it will separate and clump up.
You’re just minutes away from enjoying a nice hot bowl of this Tomato Basil Soup!
Maybe it will become one of your Family Favorite Recipes too!
Looking for more delicious soup recipes? Try some of these!