These Buffalo Chicken Football Pockets are a must have appetizer for Game Day! Spicy Buffalo Chicken in a creamy sauce is encased in football shaped pie crust. Perfect for Buffalo Chicken and football fans!
There are certain foods that always make an appearance when Game Day rolls around in our home. Chicken Wings of some sort whether it’s Mom’s recipe for Garlic and Soy Sauce Chicken Wings, Paul’s Sweet & Spicy Chicken Wings or Honey Sriracha Chicken Wings you’ll definitely see some sort of chicken wing recipe being served.
Another Family Favorite Game Day food is my Crockpot Turkey Chili and Sriracha Chicken Dip.
As you can see we like spicy food in our house. In my son’s case the spicier it is the better. He’s even been known to eat Buffalo Chicken Wings that were so hot that he had to wear rubber gloves to eat them!
These Buffalo Chicken Football Pockets have just the right amount of spice and you definitely won’t need any rubber gloves to eat them.
I used our favorite Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe as a filling to encase in flaky little football shaped pie crusts. They are the perfect finger food for any Game Day party. You’ll definitely want to keep this recipe handy for Super Bowl Sunday.
I’m looking forward to making another batch of these for our Super Bowl festivities. My daughter took this batch back to college with her to share with her friends. I did get to taste test one before she left though and it was delicious!
Buffalo Chicken Football Pockets
For the Pie Crust
- 1 package Store bought pie crust
For the buffalo chicken filling
- 1 ,8 ounce package Cream cheese ,softened
- 2 Cups Cooked chicken breast ,shredded
- 1/2 Cup Frank's Red Hot sauce or your favorite buffalo sauce
- 1/2 Cup Blue Cheese dressing
- 1 Cup Shredded cheddar cheese
For the Buffalo Chicken Filling
- Place cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth with a hand mixer.
- Add Frank's Red Hot and blue cheese dressing to the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in chicken and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
To make the Football shaped pie crust pockets
- Preheat oven to 375 Degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Unroll your refrigerated pie crust and place on a clean counter. Roll over a few times with a rolling pin to smooth out.
- Using a 2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Pull up excess dough and set aside. (You will roll this out again.)
- Use your round cutter to cut the top of your circles off to create football shapes. Place excess with the rest of your left over pie crust to knead back together are roll out again.
- Place your football shaped pie crusts together in groups of two. One top and one bottom.
- Place about 2-3 Tablespoons of your Buffalo Chicken filling on one pie crust.
- Place your other pie crust on top to encase your filling.
- Press down along the edges to seal the two crusts together. (Some of your filling may seep out. I just used a paper towel to wipe up anything that seeped out) Use a fork to crimp the edges so that it stays sealed during baking.
- Poke three air holes along the top to look like stitching with the tip of a sharp pointy knife.
- Brush the tops of all of your pockets with egg wash.
- Place on your parchment lined baking sheet. Continue until you have used just about all of your pie crust. I ended up with 21 pockets. You may have a little bit of filling left depending on how much you put inside your pockets. This can be stored in the fridge and heated up later to serve with corn chips as a dip if you like.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until crust is cooked through and slightly brown.
- Place on serving tray. Serve with blue cheese dressing for dipping.
How to serve your Buffalo Chicken Football Pockets
These Buffalo Chicken Pockets are delicious just as they are but I love to serve them with Blue Cheese dressing or Ranch dressing. Foods that you can dip are just more fun!
Here are some more great Game Day recipes for you to try. Just click on the picture for the recipe.
Diane Lavoie says
Cute and tasty. what a great appetizer for game day ! like the step by step photo’s you included.
Christina Kamp says
These are so cute and look delish!
I can’t wait to make these!
Nicole Crocker says
Hope you guys enjoy them Liz!
delish! i made my chicken in the crock pot in the morning… the only thing is that i had a hard time making the football shape 😂 but the taste was a hit!! def making again
Nicole Crocker says
Lol…The football shape can be tricky..Keep working you’ll master it! Glad you enjoyed them!